A Community of Angels Sculptural Project
2000-2001; 2002. This is a Los Angeles project to decorate and paint several hundred angel sculptures. The sculptures are installed in various public spaces throughout the city. In May 2001 they were auctioned off to benefit Volunteers of America and Catholic Big Brothers. In 2002 10s of additional angels were created and auctioned off. The project is a joint venture of two charities, the Los Angeles Convention and Visitors Bureau, and the mayor's Volunteer Bureau. It mimics a public art installation of cows done in Zurich, Switzerland, in 1998, which was followed by the popular "Cows on Parade" in Chicago. (Los Angeles Times, "Angels in L.A.; Sculpture: A young artist takes a leading role as Los Angeles
launches a citywide public display of 400 fiberglass angels", October 20, 2000, p. B1)
The official Community of Angels web site was located at http://www.acommunityofangels.com/index.htm, but is no longer available. Several catalogs were produced for sale at the time of the public project, and may be located in select public libraries:
Michele Dugan (photographer), Marnie Tenden (text), and Hannah Kaufman (design). A Community of Angels: Los Angeles. Santa Monica: Angel City Press, 2001. 159 pages.and
Michele Dugan (photographer), Marnie Tenden (text), and Hannah Kaufman (design). A Community of Angels. Santa Monica: Angel City Press, 2002. 144 pages.
Select photographs of angels as they were located in 2001 and 2002 are reproduced below, taken by a local tourist, who was not affiliated with the project.
7th and Figueroa
- Terence McCatty-TMAC, Super Cupid Love Messenger. Sponsored by Mani Brothers Real Estate. At entry to Red Line Station.
- Janet Takahashi, The "Gardening" Angel. Sponsored by Tosh and Amy Shinden. 7th St. Marketplace.
- Gwen Gates, Guardian of Small Creatures. Sponsored by William Morris Agency. 7th St. Marketplace.
- Annmarie Socash, Gladys Glass. Sponsored by Kevin & Britta Shannon. 7th St. Marketplace.
- Neala Coan/The Studio Group of Calligraphic Arts, An Angel by Any Other Name. Sponsored by JDate.com. 7th St. Marketplace.
- Marsh Scott & Cheryl Thiele, The Angel's Journey. Sponsored by AmericanSingles.com. 7th St. Marketplace.
- Susan Manders, Angelica de Espero. Sponsored by Anti-Defamation League. 7th St. Marketplace.
- Ali Golkar, World Peace. Sponsored by Marian Mann & Reeve Chudd. 7th St. Marketplace.
- Karen Fredrickson, Gift of Life. Sponsored by Transplant Recipient International Organization Ventura County West Valley Chapter. 7th St. Marketplace.
- Gwen Cates, Angelscape. Sponsored by William Morris Agency. 7th St. Marketplace.
- Christine Mallouf, Flying Tin. Sponsored by KLM Foundation. 7th St. Marketplace.
- Peter Liapes, Angels Walk Among Us. Sponsored by Trizec Hahn Office Properties. 7th St. Marketplace.
- Partial view of angel sculptures, 7th St. Marketplace.
Grand Wilshire Hotel; Wilshire and Figueroa
- Christina de Musee, The Hellenic Angel. Sponsored by the Los Angeles Rotary #5. In the Lobby of the Grand Wilshire Hotel.
- Susan Krieg, Archetype of the Feminine. Sponsored by Wilshire Grand Hotel. On the north side of the hotel.
- Anna Siqueiros, Reflections. Sponsored by Wilshire Grand Hotel. On the north side of the hotel.
- Daniel Ponce Marques, Day and Night Angel. Sanwa Plaza, 601 S. Figueroa.
- Sarajo Frieden, We are all angels. Sponsored by bpSanwa Plaza, 601 S. Figueroa.
Los Angeles Central Library; Bank of America
- Raul R. Rodriguez, Angel of Life. Sponsored by Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic. Los Angeles Public Library.
- Melinda Moore, Quintessence. Sponsored by PinnacleOne. Los Angeles Public Library.
- Dean and Laura Larson, Travel angel. Sponsored by LA Convention & Visitors Bureau. Los Angeles Public Library. At the Farmer's Market on 3rd and Fairfax as of 2007.
- Paulina Granados and Children of Los Angeles, Children's Promise Angel. Sponsored by Bank of America. Bank of America plaza.
- Linda Zaiser, Angels Over L. A. Sponsored by U. S. Trust Company. Bank of America Plaza.
Pershing Square and environs
- Barbara Ashton, Palisades' Angel. Sponsored by Sidley & Austin. Southern California Gas Co. building.
- Jonye Feldman, Fat Charlie. Sponsored by Southern California Gas Co.
- Natasha Landau, Freedom Angel. Sponsored by Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue. Pershing Square.
- Rosa M. Alvarez-Castellano, Per Sempre Angelo. Sponsored by the Harris Foundation. Pershing Square.
- Peggy Zask/MCHS Students, Sunrise Sunset. Sponsored by Mira Costa High School Community. Pershing Square.
- Daryn Berman, Davi and the Eyes of Horus. Sponsored by Camp del Corazon. Pershing Square.
- Alan Papaleo, On the Wings of Angelenos. Sponsored by L.A. Junior Chamber of Commerce. Pershing Square.
- Gwen Freeman, Johnny angel. Sponsored by Knapp, Petersen & Clarke, on behalf of Skid Row Development Corp. Pershing Square.
- Paula Van Horn and Dan Van Clapp, More Than Shelter. Sponsored by Century Housing. Pershing Square.
- Janine Anderson, 24-7. Sponsored by Central City Association. Pershing Square.
- Jim Henson's Creature Shops; Edward C. Eyth (art director), Reluctant Angel. Sponsored by the Jim Henson Company. Pershing Square.
California Water Plaza/Wells Fargo
- Fielden and Gus Harper, Angel of the City. Sponsored by Wallis Foundation. California Water Plaza.
- Cindy Suriyani, The Garden. Sponsored by Nonprofit Art Corporation. California Water Plaza.
- Frank Mayor, Hi-Tech Survivor. Sponsored by Nonprofit Art Corporation. California Water Plaza.
- Saule Piktys Zukerman, Architectural angel. Sponsored by Equity Office. California Water Plaza.
- Stephen Schubert, TARA. Sponsored by the The Witherbee
Foundation. California Water Plaza.
- Dolores Guerrero-Torres, Tonatzin - Our Earth Angel. Sponsored by Densmore & Leslie Neale. California Water Plaza.
- Danuta Rothschild, The Artist. Sponsored by Walter Lantz Foundation. Wells Fargo Building.
- Linnea Pergola, Earth Angel. Sponsored by the Peterson Foundation for the Los Angeles Make a Wish Foundation. Wells Fargo Building.
- Lura Schmiedeke, Guardian Angel of the Skies. Sponsored by Sheppard, Mullin, Richter and Hampton, LLP. Arco Center, 333 S. Hope.
- Susi Galloway, Angelus Nocturnus. Sponsored by L. A. Convention & Visitors Bureau.
- Gina Stepaniuk & Bernadette Darensbourg's 3rd Grade Class from Sierra Park School, Inner-City Angel. Sponsored by Inner-City Arts.
- Susan Krieg, He's No Angel, He's a King. Sponsored by STAPLES Center Foundation adn Kings Care Foundation.
- Valerie Nielsen-Mendez, Earth Angel. National Institute of Transplantation. 2200 W. Third St., Los Angeles
- Conchita O'Kane. Flutter. Sponsored by Flutters.
- Doug Kurtz, The Silver Stara. Sponsored by Galpin Motors.
- Doug Kurtz, Stara. Sponsored by Volunteers of America Upward Bound Program.
- Victor Christ, Angel of Love. Sponsored by Voluteers of America Drop in Center.
- Diane Behrens, Coral Reef Angel. Sponsored by Leonardo di Caprio Foundation.
- Ignacio Gomez, Angeleno Children Love to Read. Sponsored by Volunteers of America Early Start Program.
- Trish Lackey, Hearts, Flowers and Butterly Wings. Sponsored by KLM Foundation.
- Mary Robertson and Anna Marcos Maganini, World Angel. Sponsored by Trust Company of the West.
- Craig Bono, Anatomy of an Angel. Sponsored by Pacific Dining Car.
- James Dimas and Cast and Crew of According to Jim. According to Jim. Sponsored by According to Jim.
- Carlotta Maggi, The Eyes of Argus. Sponsored by O'Donnell and Schaeffer, LLP.
- Carole McCoy, Earth Angel. Sponsored by Volunteers of America Senior Meals Program.
- Roderick Sykes and Jacqueline Alexander Sykes. Metamorphosis. Sponsored by KCET.
- Samantha Wendell, King of Angels. Sponsored by LA Kings.
- Janine Anderson, Angel at Work; Heart of LA, Heart of LA; Cast and Crew of The West Wing, West Wing Angel.
- Jill Van Hoogenstyn, Living in Harmony; Teresa Powers, Quilted Angel.
- Cindy Suriyani, Phoenix Rising. Chinatown Business Improvement District.
- Renee Allen, Myfunzoo; Zox, Cloud Cruiser; Daniel Ponce Marquez, City of Light.
- Grounded for Life.
- Alexa Amital Frame-Samson, The Dreaming Tree and Human Nature. Sponsored by La Fontaine, Don and Nita.
- That 70s Show.
- Marly Beyer, Moondance Angel. Sponsored by the Music Center Education Division.
- Christine Mallouf and Larry Glenn, Trojan Angel. Sponsored by Kelsey Family Foundation.
- Stephanie Kleinman and Kirsten Moore, Scholar Angel. Sponsored by the USC Volunteer Center.
- Joan Tenowich, Angel of the Rainforest. Sponsored by Volunteers of America Companion Pet Program. Also, Thomas Slagle, Angel of Love Thy Neighbor. Sponsored by Bank of America.
- Mary Kay Wilson, Camelia Forest Angel. Sponsored by Councilmember Wendy Geuel.
- Jane Boyd, Starseed Wisdom. Sponsored by Robert A. Day.
- Cast and Crew of Mad TV, Mad TV Angel. Sponsored by Entertainment Partner - Mad TV.
- Paul Dankanich, Angels come in Every Color. Sponsored by the Walt Disney Co.
- Karen Fredrickson, Paradise. Sponsored by Volunteers of America Head Start.
- Jane Terjung, Becky Elfes Terjung and Bill Naylor, 37 Hearts. Sponsored by Terjung Family.
- Alyssa of Charmed assisted by Daniel A. Miles - Alyssa Milano, Angel of Culture and Hope. Sponsored by Charmed.
- Jeremiah Schaeffer, Look Deep. Sponsored by 24.
- Kimberly Enedy-Guccione, Azure Abu-Angel Cat. Sponsored by Volunteers of America Companion Pet Program.
- Gayle Garner Roski, Hot Fudge Sundae Angel. Sponsored by Ernst and Young.
- Angel on a parking structure, San Vicente Boulevard north of Wilshire, photographed in 2011.
- Angel located on Second Street south of Broadway, Santa Monica, photographed in 2011.
- Jake Hooper, Angel (Giving Kids a Chance to Soar), Torrance Riviera, photographed in 2016.
- Angel, Colorado Street near Fourth Street, Santa Monica, photographed in 2016.
Select photos of angels were taken by Ruth Wallach, a local tourist, who was not affiliated with the project.
2/2003. Updated 8/2016.
Back to Public Art in Los Angeles