According to Jenny Cho in her book Chinatown in Los Angeles, published by Arcadia Publishing in 2009, p. 66: "The Gate of Maternal Virtue, also known as the Gate of Filial Piety, was built by Y. C. Hong as a tribute to his mother and to all mothers. Originally made of century-old camphor wood, the gate is located on the east side of Central Plaza that faces North Broadway Street."
There is a plaque placed by the Cultural Heritage Commission, CIty of Los Angeles, that states: "Chinatown East Gate. Webster & Wilson, Architect, Myers Brithers Construction Company Builder. Built 1939, Declared 2005. Historic-Cultural Monument no. 826."
The open air Central Plaza of the New Chinatown was designed by the architects Erle Webster and Adrian Wilson.
Back to Chinatown.