Alexander Calder (1898-1976) graduated from the Stevens Institute of Technology in 1919 with a degree in mechanical engineering. He began formal art training four years later at the Art Students League, which he attended until 1926. Known for his "mobiles" before World War II, Calder began executing fixed works during the 1950's. "4 Arches" is one of a series of monumental size "stabiles" that Calder began designing in the early 1960's. These works were installed in many cities, including Grand Rapids, Michigan, Hartford, Connecticut, Chicago and Washington, D.C.(1) He was the subject of many retrospectives by major museums and his sculpture today is among the most commonly recognized of the 20th century.
Footnotes:1. Calder: Mobilist/Ringmaster/Innovator, by David Bourdon, MacMillan Publishing Co., Inc., New York, 1980, p. 124.
The text has been provided courtesy of Michael Several, Los Angeles, June 1998.
Back to Bunker Hill