Doheny Memorial Library

Edward L. Doheny Jr. Memorial Library was dedicated and opened September 12, 1932. Cost: $1,100,000. It was a gift of E. L. Doheny in memory of his son. Cornerstone laid Dec. 3, 1931.

Romanesque design was in keeping with the rest of the campus's architecture. The Doheny building is noted for hand chased bronze doors, 13 foot frieze of Porto Santo marble, Roman travertine floors and stairway. The main reading room is 131 feet long, 46 feet wide, and 27 feet (2 1/2 stories) high. It has shelves for 6,000 books and accomodates 400 readers.

The Doheny building is one of the oldest buildings on the USC campus, contains the largest collection of books and journals on the USC campus, specializing in the fields of humanities and social sciences. The building was closed between December 1999 and Spring of 2001 for a historic preservation and a seismic retrofit. This page provides access to some historic information about the building.

Special Thanks to Eileen Flick for pulling together much of the the information in the historic tours

Do not reproduce information from this site without acknowledgement of the artists and their works, or of the authors of this site.

To Public Art at USC

Ruth Wallach, USC Libraries
1998, 2/2005, 10/2008, 4/2011, 05/2015