Henry Kreis (1899-1962) was born in Essen, Germany. He immigrated to the United States in 1923, attended the Beaux-Art Institute of Design in New York City and later served as an assistant to C. Paul Jennewein and Paul Manship. During 1934-35, Kreis was part of a team of prominent artists involved in designing and executing the sculptural program of the Department of Labor in Washington, D.C. In addition to his architectural sculpture, Kreis executed smaller works that are in the collections of numerous museums, including the Metropolitan and Whitney in New York City.
Albert Stewart (1900 - 1965), born in London, England, immigrated to the United States at age eight with his family. He studied at the Beaux Art Institute of Design and the Art Students League in New York City before serving as an assistant to Frederick MacMonnies and Paul Manship. Animals were a recurring subject throughout Stewart's career. Among his many works of this type are the hawk on the Ft. Moore pylon, and "Swaps," portrayed in full gallop at Hollywood Park. Stewart's architectural sculpture, which he began in the 1930's, includes the Baptistry Doors at St. Bartholomew's Church in New York City and the pediment at the Department of Labor Building in Washington, D.C. His most visible works in Los Angeles are statues commissioned for branches of Home Savings, the heroic figures at the Scottish Rite Temple on Wilshire Boulevard, the lawgivers on the Grand Avenue side of the County Courthouse and the embellishment on the exterior of the Life-Science Building at UCLA. Steward also taught sculpture at Scripps College in Claremont for twenty-five years.
The text has been provided courtesy of Michael Several, Los Angeles, March 1999.
Back to Union Station and El Pueblo ||| Fort Moore homepage ||| Civic Center