Bell of Dolores

Lincoln Park/El Parque de Mexico, Los Angeles.
Text from the plaque: An exact replica of bell rung by Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla in the parish of Dolores, Guanajuato, Mexico, 5 a.m., September 16, 1830, in sounding the cry for the independence of Mexico.

Presented May 5, 1978, to the people of Los Angeles as a symbol of the common ideals of freedom of our two republics and a reminder that each generation must answer the cry to defend and expand our liberties.

by Lic. Guillermo Lopez Portillo, Director General, National Institute of Sport, Mexico; Arthur K. Snyder, Councilman, Fourteenth District.


Back to Sculptures in Lincoln Park/El Parque de Mexico