Text from the plaque: This was once the site of throop Hall, named after the founder of Throop University, Amos G. Throop. Throop University was founded in 1891 and became the California Institute of Technology in 1920. Built in 1910, Throop Hall was the first building on this campus. The rocks displayed throughout Throop Memorial Garden represent nearly two billion years in the geological history of California. They were brought here from the San Gabriel mountains, the backdrop to Caltech and Pasadena, where Amos. G. Throop and his family played an important role. This exhibit is made possible through the generosity of Martha Vaughan Smith, Great-Granddaughter of Amos G. Throop.
Back to Public art and sculptural works at Caltech