Hunter and Hounds

Bronze, 5'2" h x 2.5' w x 52" d.


Sculptor: probably Henri Alfred Marie Jacquemart. Santa Monica Boulevard, between Canon and Crescent, Beverly Hills, California. Text from the plaque: "Hunter and Hounds (Le Chausseur et les chiens), A. Jacquermat, sculptor, 1895-1924. This shell-torn statue stood guard above a subterranean chamber in which signal corps 3rd division American Army maintained headquarters communications during bombardment of Chatteau [sic] Thierry, 1918 "Second Battle of the Marne" dedicated Amstice Day 1925."

There is an uncertainty about the identity of the sculptor. Several resources listed in the bibliography below identify Henri Alfred Jacquemart, a French sculptor, famous for sculptures of animals, who was born on February 22, 1824 and died on January 4, 1896. He studied at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris, and showed for the first time at the Salon of 1847. He was a pupil of Paul Delaroche. Jaquemart became the Chevalier of the Legion of Honor in 1870. This information conflicts with the text on the plaque.

In the Save Outdoor Sculptures survey which was conducted in Los Angeles in the mid-1990s, there is a file with a note that the statue was purchased by pioneering Beverly Hills family, Longyear, to memorialize their son who died in the battle of Chateau Thierry. The family received permission from French government to remove the work to the United States. The sculpture was dedicated on the Longyear Beverly Hills estate in November 1925 and given to the city later. The sculpture may be part of an edition of three, as there is another onein an Austrian hunting lodge. This information is also in a brochure prepared by Beverly Hills Recreation and Parks Department. Accordingly, a Mr. Longyear of Beverly Hills wanted to memorialize his son, W. D. Longyear, who was killed in France in 1918 during the battle of Chateau Thierry. He "received permission from the French government to transport the statue to Beverly Hills. On November 11, 1925, Hunter and Hounds was unveiled at the Longyear estate on Beverly Drive and for many years memorial services were held there each armstice day. The statue has since been moved from the Longyear estate and donated to the city."


Back to Public Art and Sculptures in Greater Los Angeles