Plaque reads: "Erected 1921 by Daughters of the American Revolution of Southern California to honor the service in the World War of all men and women from the families of the state society and in memory of twenty one who made the supreme sacrifice."
Information and images are courtesy of Courtland Jindra.
This little "park within a park" is situated near Dodger Stadium on the outskirts of Elysian Park. Unkempt little walking trails lead up the the top of a hill where a sizable memorial was erected by the California Daughters of the American Revolution in 1921 to family members lost in the war. At that time, The Los Angeles Times repoted that a bronze plaque was being designed by Julia Bracken Wendt, but the description in the article is different than the plaque that is currently located on the site. It is unclear whether the design was changed, abandoned, or if the original was removed and the current one installed. It is also possible that the more ambitious design of the original was scaled down - it was to have a soldier and sailor clasping hands in the background.
The Grove, as is, was established in 1920 after a previous parcel of land located the previous year was deemed unsuitable for a memorial space. There was a planting of remembrance poppies shortly after the Grove's establishment, and seventeen trees, which were donated by Captain Walter Brinkop of the 364th Regiment's Machine Gun Company, were to be planted. Today there are numerous stumps, possibly of the original trees donated by the captain. At that time there was also talk of installing some sort of a flagpole, so that the space would always be under the US's colors, but there is no evidence or remains of this pole. At some point there were Arbor Day events at this location, but they don't seem to have been conducted in a very long time.
Image of the monument after it was cleaned of paint and graffiti on June 14, 2017. Courtesy of Courtland Jindra: